Sunday, December 5, 2010
Christmas Cookie Buttons
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
* 1 drop each red and green food coloring
* In a small bowl, beat the butter, flour and cream.
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
* On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness.
Cut with a floured 1-1/4-in. round cookie cutter.
Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Prick each cookie 3-4 times with a fork.
* Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set.
Remove to wire racks to cool.
* In a small bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve desired consistency.
Remove half to another bowl; tint one portion of filling with red food coloring and the other half with green.
Carefully spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.